About the department :
The Department of Biochemistry existed since the inception of the Medical College in 2007. The Biochemistry dept. has Teaching and Diagnostic services. We teach UG (MBBS), PG (MD Biochemistry), BSc. Allied Health Sciences and Para medical students. We are also actively involved in research activities. We also run a 24 hrs. Diagnostic clinical laboratory in the hospital. We have state of the art equipment and automation to ease and expedite the processing of samples. We perform around 900 to 1100 investigations in a day.
Academic Activities :
- Teaching undergraduate, Post Graduate, BSc. Allied Health Science & Para medical students.
- Journal Club/ Case Presentation/Seminars.
- Training of faculty members in Medical Education Unit as per MCI Guidelines(CISP & AETCOM)
Facilities Available :
Department consists of well equipped Research Laboratory, Students Practical Laboratory, Department Library, Seminar hall and Demonstration room with LCD Projectors and Computers.
Research Papers :
1. Prevalence of Prediabetes at the Tertiary Healthcare Center, McGann Teaching District Hospital, Shivamogga, Karnataka, India.
Gurupadappa K, Geetha Bhaktha, Manjula B, Parameshwara, Prashanth S.
2. Correlation of Serum Cholinesterase with Lipid Indices in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients in Mc.Gann Teaching Hospital, Shimoga,Karnataka.India.
Hemantha Kumara D S, Gurupadappa K.
IJMB, July-December 2018;22(2):154-156
3. Anti Atherosclerotic effects of Garlic extracts in experimentally induced atherosclerosis in Rats
Govinda Swamy S, Kashinath R.T.
JARBS, 2009, 1(2), 98-104
4. An Oxidative stress condition
R.S, Govindaswamy. K.S, Gurupadappa.K.
5. Comparative Study of Dially-Disulphide and Dipropyl-Disulphide in Experimental Atherosclerosis
K.S, Basavaraj B, Devaranavadagi, Kashinath. R.T, Nagendra. S.
GJMR, Vol.13, Issue 2 Version 1.0 Year 2013
6. Anti Carcinogenic effects of Garlic Aqueous extracts in induced hepatoma in mice
Kanthaiah, Govindaswamy K S, Akarsh S.
IJB, ISSN:2278-778X www.ijbio.com
7. Anticarcinogenic effects of Garlic Aqueous extracts in Nitroso R Salt (1-Nitroso-2-Naphthol-3,6- Disulfonic Acid Disodium Salt Hydrate) Induced Hepatoma in Rats.
Kanthaiah, Govindaswamy K S, Omprakash K. V.
IJRTST, ISSN 2277-2812E-ISSN 2249-8109,Vol.9, Issue 1, 2013 pp 100-104
8. Sunanda Murthy, Kanthaiah, Govindaswamy. Hypolipidemic effects of Garlic extracts in High Fat High cholesterol diet fed Rats
OA, I:10.14260/jemds/2014/1988 February 10, 2014
9. Development of Atherosclerosis in Psoriasis
R.S, Basavaraj B, Govindaswamy. K.S., Suryavamshi Anil Kumar
10. Psoriasis : An oxidative stress condition
Jyothi R S, Govindaswamy K S, Gurupadappa K
JCDR.2011 April, Vol-5(2):252-253
11. Prognostic significance of Blood Urea Nitrogen in comparison to Creatinine levels in mortality assessment of patients at admission with Acute Coronary Syndrome in Shivamogga district, Karnataka
Jyothi R S, Sridevi V.
ORA, DOI: 10.18231/2394-6377.2018.0070
12. The prognostic implication of serum albumin and BUN/Albumin ratio in assessing severity and mortality in community acquired pneumonia (CAP)
Jyothi R.S, Basavaraj B, Gurupadappa K.
ORA, DOI: 10.18231/2394-6377.2019.0020
13. Phytochemical screening and Acute Oral Toxicity Study of Tamarindus indica pod extract and its methanol fraction.
Nandini S, Suchetha Kumari N.
The Journal of Phytochemistry, Photon. 2014; 115: 301-9
14. Evaluation of Protective Efficacy of Hydro alcoholic Extract and Methanol Fraction of Tamarindus Indica Pod against Radiation Induced Biochemical and Chromosomal Changes in Swiss Albino Mice.
Nandini S, Suchetha Kumari N.
International Journal of Recent Research in Interdisciplinary Sciences (IJRRIS). 2015; 2(2): 1-10
15. The in vitro anti-oxidant activity and total phenolic content of Flavonoid Luteolin and Tamarindus indica Pod extract and its methanol fraction.
Nandini S, Suchetha Kumari N, Ramesh CK, Aditya Rao SJ.
World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4(10): 1008-16
16. A Comparative evaluation of serum Cystatin C and Creatinine levels as early markers of acute kidney injury in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.
Priyanka PC, Dr. Nalini K.
IJoCB, Vol 28/Issue 1 Supp./December 2013
CME / Workshops :
- Dr Gurupadappa K delivered Guest Lecture Dr B. Sadashivudu Oration of Silver Jubilee Conference of AMBICON 2017 at Mysore.
- Gurupadappa K delivered a Guest Lecture Dr. Akhori Sinha Presidential Oration of AMBICON-2018 at Delhi.
- Gurupadappa K delivered a Guest Lecture on Trends a Diagnostic Efficacy of Diabetes Mellitus at SDUMC of Karnataka State Conference AMBKC.
- Gurupadappa K delivered a Guest Lecture on Medical Biochemistry Curriculum in India and Abroad- A Perspective at JJM Davanagere of Karnataka State Conference AMBKC-CON 2012.
- Gurupadappa K delivered a Guest Lecture at Karad, Maharashtra State Conference AMBI-BIOCON-2019.
- K S Govindaswamy has participated in the Sensitization Program for attitude and communication (AT-COM) module organized by the MCI Nodel Cente for faculty development at JNMC, Belgavi on 4th December 2015.
- Nandini S participated in “Biomedical waste Management” Organized by Dept of Community medicine held at Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences on March 2011.
- Nandini S participated in CME - “Anatomy and yoga” organized by Dept. of Anatomy, held at Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences, Shimoga on 15th October 2011.
- Dr. Nandini S presented Poster on “Phytochemical Screening of Tamarindus Indica Pod extract” at 33rd Annual Conference of IABMS & International symposium held on 1st - 3rd Nov 2012, at KSHEMA, NITTE University, Mangalore.
- Dr. Nandini S made an Oral presentation on “Radioprotective effect of Tamarindus indica pod extract in Swiss albino mice exposed to whole body electron beam radiation” at International Conference of Radiation Biology & Clinical applications, organized by K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte University, Mangalore under the auspices of Indian Society for Radiation Biology (ISRB) held on 26th - 27th October 2013.
- Won second prize in oral presentation at an international conference.
- Dr. Nandini S presented a Poster on “How to design an effective research poster?” in the V National Workshop on Research Methodology organized by Institutional Research Board (IRB) and Medical Education Unit (MEU), Trichy SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Irungalur, Tiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu held from 26th-29th Sep 2018.
Awards and Achievements :
Dr Gurupadappa K, Professor & HOD was President of Association of Medical Biochemists of India (AMBI) a National body in the year 2018-19
Department of Biochemistry endeavors to become a center of high quality education, Scientific research and upgradation of Diagnostic laboratories.
In line with the Mission of the College of Medicine, the department is committed to provide excellent education in the field of biochemistry for the students of Medicine, encourage and guarantee production of high quality scientific research and to graduate qualified doctors equipped with knowledge, skills and values vital to meet the requirements in the field of high level health care.